Auditions & Admissions
Prospective MFA and MA in Studio and Related Studies Graduate Applicants:
- PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for a University Fellowship nomination, you must audition by the January audition.
Prospective MA in American Dance Studies Graduate Applicants:
- PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for a University Fellowship nomination, a School of Dance assistantship, and/or tuition waiver, prospective students in the American Dance Studies program need to complete their application no later than January 15, 2019.
BFA Audition Dates
- November 14, 2018 Audition, application deadline is October 20, 2018 —CLOSED (The audition roster for this date is full and we are not accepting any new applications.)
- January 16, 2019 Audition, application deadline is December 8, 2018 —CLOSED (The audition roster for this date is full and we are not accepting any new applications.)
- February 13, 2019 Audition, application deadline is February 2, 2019 —CLOSED (The audition roster for this date is full and we are not accepting any new applications.)
MFA/MA Audition Dates
- November 13-14, 2018 Audition, application deadline is November 3, 2018 —CLOSED
- January 15-16, 2019 Audition, application deadline is December 8, 2018 —CLOSED
MA, American Dance Studies Dates
- January 15, 2019 Application deadline for Fall 2019: applicants must submit university applications by the January 15 deadline in order to be considered for funding.
School of Dance Audition Application
A formal audition is required for admission into the Dance Major, the MFA or MA in Studio and Related Studies programs. Audition slots tend to fill quickly, therefore, we strongly encourage early communication with the School of Dance in order to ensure all paperwork is completed for securing a slot on the desired audition date. If we cannot accommodate your application to attend your preferred audition because the audition has filled, we will be happy to place you in the next available audition if it is not already full.
- Video auditions are not accepted.
- Observers are NOT permitted during the actual audition classes.
- Proper dancewear is expected for auditions:
- For ballet:
- Women: close-fitting appropriate dancewear, ballet slippers and/or pointe shoes.
- Men: close-fitting appropriate dancewear and ballet shoes.
- For contemporary dance:
- Women: close-fitting appropriate dancewear and bare feet.
- Men: close-fitting appropriate dancewear and bare feet.
Due to the high number of auditioning students, we will not be able to accept late applications for audition. Please note the application deadlines listed for each audition date. Prospective students who have secured an audition slot will receive a confirmation email from the School. Please print out the email and bring it with you in the event that verification is needed. Do not attend an audition if you have not received our confirmation email.
PLEASE NOTE: Admission to Florida State University is becoming even more competitive! Please submit your application to the University as soon as possible. Both acceptance by the University and acceptance by the School of Dance through the audition process are required before becoming an FSU Dance Major.
For more information on admissions to Florida State University, please visit our Office of Admissions page.