I was born and grew up in Moscow, Russia, where I studied Russian literature and linguistics until moving to the United States in 2000. My professional activities and research projects explore the complex relationships between language, the designed environment and people through time and in different geographies.
I am an interior design and architecture scholar, adjunct professor in the Florida State University Department of Interior Architecture + Design and a museum and exhibition designer with over twelve years of practice. My current research explores the design of educational and didactic spaces, with a particular interest in how interior design and architecture facilitate movement through space, literal and figural accessibility and serendipitous encounters, leading to more transformative learning experiences.
Professional Certifications and Associations
- National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ®) Certificate No. 023481
- LEED® AP Interior Design and Construction
- Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC) Member
- Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA) Member
- Southeastern College Art Conference (SECAC) Member
2013 Ph.D. Department of Art Education, College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
Dissertation: “Spatial Contexts, Permeability, and Visibility in Relation to Learning Experiences in Contemporary Academic Architecture”
2002 M.S. Interior Design, Department of Interior Architecture + Design, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
Focused Research: “Glass Applications in Architectural Interiors”
1998 – 2000 Post-Graduate Research Appointment, Russian Academy of Sciences, The Vinogradov Russian Language Institute, Moscow, Russia
1998 B.A. / Specialist Degree in the Russian Language and Literature, Department of Philology, Moscow Lomonosov State University, Moscow, Russia
Design Studio I and II
Design Theory and Criticism
Research Methods (Qualitative and Visual)
Design Graphics (Traditional and Digital)
Space Syntax and its application to design of interior spaces
Academic and educational building design
Design theory and history; philosophy of art and design
Modernism in reality and in film
Museum, exhibition, and educational installation design
History of Soviet architecture and exhibition design
Select Scholarly/Creative Works & Awards
- McLane, Y. & Dawkins, J. (2014) Buildings of requirement: Liberating academic interior architecture, Journal of Learning Spaces, 3(1).
- McLane, Y. & Waxman, L. (2014). Designing for good. In G. Cairns (Ed.), Design for a Complex World (pp. 77-98). London, UK: Libri Publishing.
- McLane, Y. (2011). The Architecture of Mission San Luis and the Formation of Meaning within the Historical Learning Environment. Proceedings of the Art and Design for Social Justice Symposium, Tallahassee, FL.
- McLane, Y. (2010). New, But Not Improved: Defective Domesticity in Jacques Tati’s Mon Oncle and Playtime. Interiors: Design, Architecture, Culture, 1(1-2), 61-74.
Selected Museum/Exhibition Design Projects
- 2014 – Visitor Center / Explorium. University of Texas Marine Research Institute and Mission-Aransas National Estuarine Research Reserve, Port Aransas, TX
- 2013 – History of Captiva Island Interpretive Exhibits. Captiva Island Historical Society, Captiva Island, FL
Interpretive Exhibit/Signage Program, Conservancy of Southeast Florida, Naples, FL
- 2012 – Interpretive Program. Leon Levy Native Plant Preserve, Eleuthera, Bahamas
- 2011 – Visitor Center. Southeast Louisiana National Wildlife Refuge Complex, Lacombe, LA
- 2010 – Nature Center. Texas Chenier Planes National Wildlife Refuge Complex, Anahuac, TX
- 2009 – Cayman Islands National Museum. Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- 2008 – Indoor and Outdoor Interpretive Exhibits. Fort Fincastle, Nassau, Bahamas
Interpretive Exhibits. South Florida Water Management District, West Palm Beach, FL
Springs Coast Environmental Education Center, Weekie Wachee, FL
- 2007 – National Environmental Center. Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands
Visitor Center. St. Andrews State Park, Panama City Beach, FL
Visitor Center. Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge , Oak Harbor, OH