Lisa Kinch Waxman, Ph.D. is a professor and chair of the Interior Design department at Florida State University. Her research includes topics related to sustainable design, the design of spaces that foster community and design for special populations. She is a NCIDQ certificate holder, a LEED-AP and a licensed interior designer in Florida. Dr. Waxman has served in many capacities on the board of the Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC), including president-elect, president and past-president from 2010 until 2013. She was honored as a Fellow of IDEC in 2008. Her teaching expertise includes environment and behavior, computer-aided design, sustainability and studio.
Areas of Responsibility
Teaching, Research, and Service
Chair of the Department of Interior Architecture + Design
- B.S. Florida State University, Interior Design
- M.S. Oregon State University, Interior Design
- Ph.D. Florida State University, Art Education
Environment and Behavior, Computer-aided Design, Sustainability, and Studio.
Topics related to the design of spaces that contribute to a sense of place and foster community, design for special populations and technology in design.
Select Scholarly/Creative Works & Awards
- Tan, L., & Waxman, L. K. (2013). Designing for virtual learning spaces: A Second Life example. International Journal of Designs for Learning, 4(2), 72-79. Retrieved from http://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/ijdl
- Waxman, L. K. (presented 2013, October). Designing for Alzheimers: A case study of a memory care facility. Paper presented at Interior Design Educators Council South Regional Conference, Interior Design Educators Council, Atlanta, GA.
- Waxman, L. K. (2012). Practical Applications for Designers, Expert Spotlight 16.1: Third Places. In D. Kopec (Ed.), Environmental Psychology for Design (pp. 317-318). New York: Fairchild Publishing.
- Pable, J., & Waxman, L. K. (2011). The Importance of Interior Design Professionals’ Engagement in Policy Development to Effect Change for Underprivileged Individuals. In D. Smith, M. Lommerse, & P. Metcalfe (Ed.), Life from the Inside: Perspectives on Social Sustainability and Interior Architecture (pp. 111-117). Paper and Pencil Press, Austrailia.
- Waxman, L. K., & Clemons, S. (2010). The Impact of Television on the Public’s Perception of Interior Design. In C. Martin, & D. Guerin (Eds.), The State of the Interior Design Profession (pp. 470-475). New York: Fairchild Publishing.
- Presidential Award for Sustained Service and Contributions, Interior Design Educators Council (2013)
- 25 Most Admired Educators, Design Intelligence: America’s Best Architecture and Design Schools (2012)
- Distinguished Teaching Award, College of Visual Arts, Theatre, and Dance (2012)
- Undergraduate Teaching Award, Florida State University (2012)
- National President, Interior Design Educators Council, (2011-2012)
- Guardian of the Flame Award, FSU Burning Spear Society (2010)
- Honored as a Fellow of the Interior Design Educators Council (2008)
- Best Paper Presentation, Interior Design Educators Council Annual Conference, Austin, TX (2007)
- Presidential Award for Sustained Service and Contributions, Interior Design Educators Council (2007)
- Graduate Faculty Mentor Award, Florida State University (2006)