Joséphine A. Garibaldi, co-artistic director of Callous Physical Theatre and Fulbright Scholar, is an interdisciplinary artist scholar dedicated to fostering collaborative art-making across communities, disciplines and cultures regionally, nationally and internationally through a dialogic practice of art-making and pedagogy. From environmental and performance installations, movement and text based visual poetry, Garibaldi has collaboratively devised original performance, installation and digital works nationally and internationally for over 35 years.
MFA Dance, University of California, Irvine, 1996
MA Interdisciplinary Studies in Creative Arts, CSU San Francisco, 1990
BA Dance, CSU Long Beach, 1985
Choreography, Composition, Physical Theatre, Devising, Performance Studies
I am intrigued with place, the sense of place, and the interaction with place that shapes who we are. The primary thrust of my on-going creative project is the exploration of the interaction between Performance, Place and Community; specifically, how the collaborative creation of performance about Place can reinforce and/or create a sense of Community. My research is based in the embodied practice of dialogic devising that draws upon ritual based forms and performance as transformative act. The roots of dialogic devising are pedagogical, developing out of content-based approaches I have utilized as artist-in-schools and as instructor for teaching methods courses. Drawing inspiration from Paolo Freire’s theory of dialogic action, I perceive artists as agents of cultural change. Through active dialogue and the physical interaction with others I collaboratively work to reveal creative solutions to problems that could not have been possibly conceived without that interactive in-between space of play that dialogue engenders. As an interdisciplinary dance artist and educator, my primary goal is to create collaborations that cross disciplines and cultural boundaries in professional and academic, traditional and non-traditional settings.
Select Scholarly/Creative Works & Awards
- Facility for Arts Research Fellow, FSU for Illuminating Site, 2018/2019
- Artist in Residence, Buinho Creative Hub, Portugal, 2018. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/buinho-creative-hub.html
- Laptop Performance Laboratory: Modular Play [Telematic Choreography/Intermedial Performance]. Callous Physical Theatre, Florida State University, 2017. Supported in part by Council on Research and Creative Activity, FSU. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/lpl-modular-play.html
- Artist in Residence, SERDE Interdisciplinary Art Group, Latvia, 2017. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/serde-aizpute-latvia.html.
- Artist in Residence, Cultural Centre Vanha Paukku, Finland, 2017. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/nameless-but-in-sight.html
- Artist in Residence, Cowwarr Art Space, Gippsland, Australia, 2016. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/cowwarr-art-space-2016.html.
- Ghost Town/ Pareidolia, Callous Physical Theatre, 2015. A group-sourced project conducted on-site in Utah Ghost Towns – Cisco, Miners Basin, Sego. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/ghost-town-pareidolia.html.
- Fulbright Scholar in Contemporary Dance & Composition, Jāzeps Vītols Latvian Academy of Music, Riga, Latvia, 2014. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/fulbright-in-riga-latvia.html.
- Fulbright Scholar in Contemporary Dance & Composition, Latvian Academy of Culture Riga, Latvia, 2014.
Additional Scholarly/Creative Works, Publications & Awards
- the sky will last longer than I [Contemporary]. NSFDT, Tallahassee, FL, 2018.
- Camino Iluminado: Messejana, [Performance Installation]. Jardim de Igreja Matriz Messejana, Jardim de Igreja Matriz Messejana: Buinho Creative Hub and township of Messejana, Portugal, 2018.
- A Voo do Açor (Flight of the Goshawk), [Short film; stop motion]. Callous Physical Theatre, 2018. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/EFaiXKsVX-s.
- “LPL/MP revisited or (re)activating the consequence of exquisite corpse”, Presentation given at Circle 7 Practicing Communities: Transformative societal strategies of artistic research, Nordic Summer University, Riga, Latvia, 2018.
- Virtually Real: the isolated connection community [Physical Theatre]. Black Black Box Theatre, FSU, 2018. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/virtually-real.html.
- Clusterflock Ritual, [Physical Theatre]. Classic City Fringe Festival, Athens, GA, 2017. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/clusterflock-ritual.html.
- SERDE Istabas (Core Rooms) [Performance Installation/Short Film]. SERDE Interdisciplinary Art Center, Aizpute, Latvia, 2017. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/serde-aizpute-latvia.html .
- Time: the great unleveler, SERDE Interdisciplinary Art Group, [Short film]. Callous Physical Theatre, Aizpute, Latvia, 2017. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk3k9hyIK68&feature=youtu.be
- Close to You, [Short film; stop motion]. Callous Physical Theatre, Aizpute, Latvia, 2017. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJN_HZmTh0E&feature=youtu.be
- Nameless, but in sight, Lapua, Finland, 2017. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/vanha-paukku-lapua-finland.html
- “Legacy: How and why should artistic research create a legacy? Dialogic Devising: Collaborative Creation of Community-Based Performance”. Presentation given at Circle 7 Practicing Communities: Transformative societal strategies of artistic research, Nordic Summer University, Ricklundgården, Saxnäs, Sàpmi, Sweden, 2017.
- Land of the Pick and Choose, NSFDT, FSU, 2016.
- The Place Where I Start, Cowwarr Art Space, Gippsland, Victoria, Australia, 2016. A transdisciplinary installation consisting of independent, discrete video, performance and woven sculptural elements that is reflective and reflexive of Cowwarr Art Space, the neighboring communities and environment. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/the-place-where-i-start
- Laptop Performance Laboratory, Digital Space, Idaho, Latvia, England, 2015. Exploring the potential of consumer technologies to make meaningful intermedial dance/performance work(s) that bridge corporeal, virtual, cultural and spatial distances. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/laptop-performance-laboratory.html
- “Global Corporeality: Collaborative Choreography in Digital Space“. International Journal of Screendance, 5 (2015), 1-15, 2015. Retrieved from http://screendancejournal.org/article/view/4421#.XF8m-tF7ko8
- Global Corporeality: Collaborative Choreography in Digital Space, Idaho, Latvia, 2014. Exploring the potential of consumer technologies to make meaningful intermedial dance/performance work(s) that bridge corporeal, virtual, cultural and spatial distances. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/global-corporeality.html
- Stories from the Park, Ziedondarz Park, Riga, Latvia, 2014. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/stories-from-the-park.html.
- Grass is Green, Zirgu Pasts, Riga Latvia, 2014. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/grass-is-green.html.
- LIVE, 2014. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/global-corporeality.html.
- Double Blind Sided: Kafka’s German Process/A Compost Modern Movement Opera Pocatello, Idaho, 2013. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/double-blind-sided.html
- Artist in Residence, Arteles Creative Center, Hameenkyro, Finland, 2012. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/arteles-residency—20121.html.
- Birch Loops, environmental installation, Hameenkyro, Finland, 2012. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/birch-loops.html.
- Cagevent: Sometimes it works, Sometimes it doesn’t. Kontaining Performance Festival, Helsinki, Finland, 2012. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/sometimes-it-works-sometimes-it-doesnt.html
- The Rule of Life, Idaho State University, 2012. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/the-rule-of-life.html
- Arte Studio Ginestrelle, Assisi, Italy, 2011. Retrieved from http://callousphysicaltheatre.weebly.com/arte-studio-ginestrelle.html