MFA/MA Audition Dates
- November 14-15, 2017 Audition, application deadline is October 20, 2017 —OPEN
- January 16-17, 2018 Audition, application deadline is December 8, 2017 —OPEN
How to Arrange for an MFA/MA in Dance (Studio & Related Studies) Audition
You will first apply online through graduate admissions. You will be asked to upload the required items listed below. If for some reason you have trouble uploading the required documents, you may mail them to Stephanie Mills as stated below.
Please complete the School of Dance Application. Be sure to list your preference for an audition date. You will receive a confirmation email with a link to a campus map, along with any further information you may need. There are no campus facilities for the accommodation of visitors. Tallahassee offers a wide variety of hotel and motel choices.
- Fill out the School of Dance Application.
- All applicants must submit a full length photograph of yourself in practice clothes. The photograph is not used as a criterion of admission; it functions as a memory aid for the adjudication committee.
- All MFA and MA applicants must also submit a writing sample along with their photograph. This sample can be a previously written paper on any subject and does not have to be dance related.
- Please mail all of the above materials to the School of Dance prior to the audition only if you are unable to upload on the graduate admissions page.
School of Dance Audition Application
Please submit all materials to:
School of Dance
202 Montgomery Hall
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2120
Questions? Contact Stephanie Mills: firstname.lastname@example.org
The official audition process begins at 9:00 am with Ballet Barre. You are expected to stay for the entire audition. We encourage you to arrive early enough to visit the activities of the school.
First Day: MANDATORY
Upon arrival check in with the Dance Office – 202A Montgomery Hall
- 8:00 am – 8:45 am Check In with Stephanie Mills (Room 202A)
- 8:45 am – 9:00 am Prepare and warm-up for classes (Room 216)
- 9:00 am – 9:40 am Ballet (Barre only with graduate class) (Room 216)
- 9:50 am – 10:30 am Contemporary (Room 301)
- 10:40 am – 10:55 am Dialogue and discussion on studio practice (Room 301)
- 11:00 am – 11:40 am Improvisation (Room 301)
- 11:40 am – 12:25 pm Lunch Break
- 12:30 pm – 1:15 pm Writing Sample (Computer Lab – Room 119)
- MFA/MA Applicants meet to participate in the writing portion of the audition
- 1:20 pm – 1:50 pm Information session on graduate programs
- 2:15 pm – 3:15 pm Prepared solos shown to audition committee
- Dancers should bring an audio device with 3.55mm audio jack.
- Solos should be 1-2 minutes in length.
- Prepared solo should be of dancer’s own original choreography.
- 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm Interviews with Faculty
Second Day: MANDATORY
- 8:00 am – 8:30 am Check-in for Audition
- 8:30 am – 9:00 am Information Session on faculty research and areas of specialization
- 9:00 am Building tours for parents
- 9:00 am – 9:20 am Auditionees prepare for first class
- 9:20 am – 10:50 am First class (45 minutes of ballet, 45 minutes of modern)
- Note: MFA/MA participate in the class with the undergraduates.
- 11:00 am – 12:30 am Second class (same as above)
- Note: Undergraduates only.
- 11:30 am – 12:30 pm Lunch Break
- 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm MFA/MA Creative Project work session.
- 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm Individual Solos
- (MFA/MA – Creative Projects; BFA – Prepared Solos)
Notification of audition results will be mailed to the auditioning dancers in writing within approximately two weeks of the audition.
How to apply for MA in Dance (American Dance Studies)
The deadline for MA, American Dance Studies Applications for Fall 2018 is March 17, 2018.
In order to be considered for a University Fellowship nomination, a School of Dance assistantship, and/or tuition waiver, prospective students in the American Dance Studies program need to complete their application no later than January 6, 2018. To be considered for a teaching assistantship, students must also submit a Graduate Apprenticeship Assistantship Application Form. ADS applicants may use the same references for both their program application and apprenticeship form.
You will first apply online through graduate admissions. You will be asked to upload the required items listed below. If you have trouble uploading the required documents, contact Stephanie Mills at email@example.com or telephone her at 850-644-1023.