Mission & Core Values
The mission of the Florida State University School of Dance is to provide an environment conducive to the highest caliber of dance training, art making and scholarship. Our approach encourages fluidity between the processes of making art, honing craft and deepening intellectual explorations. We cultivate the individual creative voice with exposure to diverse technical and philosophical approaches. Such an environment nurtures exceptional dance practitioners, allows us to make creative and intellectual contributions to the larger dance community, and fosters collaborative endeavors within and beyond our field.
- Guided by former chair Dr. Nancy Smith Fichter’s motto, “Do it with love,” we honor past legacies, current practices, and future possibilities.
- We support the whole person through integrated, humane, rigorous education to encourage self-sustaining, lifelong learning and development.
- We value respectful dialogue while grappling with ongoing complexities of working across differences.
- We cultivate innovative artist-scholars who engage in critical thinking, articulate making and doing, and integrated practices fueled by curiosity.
- We believe perseverance is fundamental to process-oriented creative research and support methodologies that involve both risk taking and rigorous planning.